Japanese News in Brief - Not on the NHK TV News - English Bulletin @7.00pm tonight

  • Haneda airport to expand int'l terminal to handle more flights

The transport ministry said Tuesday it has agreed with the operator of Haneda airport in Tokyo to expand its new international terminal to cope with an expected increase in flights, with hopes of putting the new facilities in service at the end of fiscal 2013.

Construction work, expected to start next year, will include increasing floor space by about 40% to accommodate more boarding gates and security check corners, expanding the tarmac, and constructing a new hotel near the terminal, according to the ministry and Tokyo International Air Terminal Corp. 

  • Rules set for disposal of Fukushima hot debris

Kyodo
Burned or incombustible debris in Fukushima Prefecture can be buried at waste dumps if it is emitting less radiation than the legal limit, the Environment Ministry said.

Guidelines issued Sunday cover debris in coastal and central areas of the prefecture, except for zones where people were evacuated due to radioactive fallout from the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant.
The ministry set the limit at 8,000 becquerels per kilogram of radioactive cesium-134 and -137 so people working at disposal sites will not be exposed above the limit of 1 millisievert per year.

While debris with 8,000 becquerels or less of cesium can be buried at controlled disposal sites and separately from general garbage, rubble above the limit will be kept at a facility shielded by concrete walls for the time being while the ministry considers how to dispose of it.

Incinerators to burn wood chips and other combustible materials from the areas must be equipped with filters to prevent the emission of contaminated gas, according to the guideline.
  • Gov't panel eyes Y100,000 monthly damages for nuclear evacuees

A government panel agreed Monday to pay 100,000 yen, (US$1,250.00), each monthly to those who have been forced to evacuate from areas around the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant to compensate for their psychological pains.

The payment for those who stay at temporary facilities, apartments and hotels will continue for six months since the breakout of the nuclear disaster in March, according to the panel under the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. 
  • Hitachi to replace Tsutenkaku neon signs with power-saving lights

Hitachi Ltd said Monday it will replace most neon lights for its advertisements on Osaka’s signature Tsutenkaku Tower with light-emitting diodes, in a bid to cut electricity consumption by half and contribute to nationwide energy-saving efforts.

The new system, to be lit up from Oct 28, will enable the display of a greater array of colors and also be capable of serving as a bulletin board displaying slogans and messages selected from public entries.

  • 8-year-old boy falls to his death in Fukuoka

An 8-year-old boy fell to his death from the balcony of his 13th-floor apartment in Fukuoka on Saturday, police said Monday. According to police, the incident occurred just prior to 7 p.m.

Police said they received an emergency call from the apartment’s adult tenant, saying the child had fallen from the balcony. The boy, identified Yuki Shudo, was confirmed dead at the hospital a short time later.

Police said the boy had been left alone in the apartment, and apparently had managed to climb over the 1-meter-high balcony railing.

  • Shrine association allows officials to take home donated rice

Officials at the Association of Shinto Shrines took home portions of donated rice, rather than sending it to disaster-hit areas, on the grounds it might spoil, the association said Monday.

The association received 5 tons of rice from Ise Jingu shrine in Mie Prefecture following the March 11 disaster, and sent 2 tons of it to Miyagi Prefecture and 1 ton to Iwate Prefecture, both severely hit by the earthquake and tsunami.

Disclaimer: Please view "Popular Pages"

No comments:

Post a Comment