As diplomatic talks in China come to a close, one of the country’s biggest newspapers is warning citizens against a “new Cold War” with the United States.
“Both China and the United States realize that today’s world has already undergone profound changes, and there is no longer a market for a ‘new Cold War’”, the People’s Daily, the ruling communist party’s official paper, said Saturday.
The commentary was written under the pen name “Zhong Sheng,” which means “Voice of China” and is often used for bylines on foreign policy op-eds, Reuters reported Saturday.
“If we deal with (the relationship) well, it could benefit both sides. But if we deal with this badly, that could be a slippery slope to terrible competition and even conflict,” the writer said.
The article went on to call for enhanced communication on both sides to strengthen relations. While the U.S. and China agreed to increase military ties and ramp up counter-terrorism cooperation during the annual talks in Beijing, there seemed to be little sign of progress on cyber-security or maritime issues, Reuters reported.
The writer added that foreign relations were unlikely to ease any time soon and suggested positive steps to amend shaky ties, including boosting bilateral investment, deepening cooperation on environmental issues, strengthening military ties and making travel easier between the U.S. and China.
- Espionage Conference In Canada discusses Sex, Security, and of course China
- Video footage has emerged of three Australian anti-whaling activists boarding the Japanese whaler Shohnan Maru 2.
- An Apology for not posting news or other stuff! The reason was ....
- Indonesia, Bali - Massive python strangles security guard at luxury hotel
- North Korean infamous Camp 16 gulag; notorious prison camp Inmates population expanding...(Video)
- China - Walmart recalls donkey meat after tests showed that it contained DNA of other animals, incl FOX Meat!