Sinus infections are an inflammation of the lining in the sinus cavities. Sinusitis can be caused by colds, flu, bacteria or allergies. Fortunately, you don’t have to over-medicate yourself with conventional drugs, there are many natural and effective remedies for a sinus infection.
- Gargling with turmeric: Gargling with turmeric is very helpful in healing sinus infections. Turmeric contains curcumin which helps heal the sinus cavity. Turmeric possesses an anti-inflammatory action.
- Garlic Inhalation. Garlic is a very powerful natural antibiotic. It possesses antiviral and anti-fungal properties. Add 3 cloves of minced fresh garlic to a pot of boiled water. Cover your head with a towel over the pot and begin inhaling.
- Steam Inhalation. The steam alone is a powerful decongestant that helps to clear the breathing pathways. It opens sinuses and reduces sinusitis.
- Neti Pot. This is a very well known treatment for a sinus infection. The Neti pot thins mucus and flushes it out of the nasal passages. All you need is salt and water. Just fill a Neti pot with 1 teaspoon of sea salt (preferably celtic) and 2 cups of lukewarm water. Tilt your head over the sink, place the spout of the pot in the upper nostril and pour in the water gently. The water will flow through your nasal cavity and out the lower nostril. Do the same on the other side.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. ACV thins mucus. Mix two teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar in a glass of water (you can add raw honey for the taste). drink it up to 3 times a day.
- A Cayenne pepper tincture will help clear the sinuses. Take a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper powder and snort it up each nostril. It will quickly drain your sinuses.
- Grapefruit seed extract. It’s a very effective remedy for sinus infections. Your sinus infection may disappear after just a couple of days.
- Hot shower. When you are in the shower, let the hot water run onto your forehead and nose. It will help drain all the mucus in your sinuses.
- Peppermint tea. Menthol, the active ingredient in peppermint, acts as a decongestant. It effectively breaks up mucous congestion.
- Horseradish or wasabi mustard. These foods will unclog your congested sinuses.